Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Clear Dye Free Homemade Laundry Detergent

I know a lot of you have seen the recipes for homemade laundry detergent. Recently, I came across one that uses Dawn dish liquid. In this recipe there is no need to shave down the bar soap and melt it on the stove. While talking with my sister, she mentioned that she would like to try to make her own homemade detergent. However, she usually buys the clear detergent at the store. But, on her last visit they had raised the price by a few dollars. So, I came up with this recipe for my sensitive-skinned sister ;) This recipe uses Dawn Pure Essentials Dye Free Hypoallergenic Dish Liquid instead of the Original Blue Dawn.

Recipe: 1/2 cup Borax, 1/2 cup Super Washing Soda, 1/2 cup Dawn Pure Essentials Dye Free Dish Liquid, Water

I just used a large plastic orange juice jug that I had washed out, to make and store this in. (You can use any plastic jug up to 1 gallon size.)
First, fill the jug about 2/3 of the way to the top with warm water. Then, add the Borax and Super Washing powders to the water using a funnel. Close the top of the jug and shake to dissolve the powders. After the powders have dissolved you can add in the Dawn dish liquid and fill the jug the rest of the way to the top leaving a little room to shake and mix in the Dawn. I suggest adding the Dawn at the end. If you try to add everything to the bottle first and then fill with water, the dish soap will foam up and you will have a jug full of bubbles spilling out of the top as you are trying to fill the jug with water. I left this just sit on the counter overnight and then tried it the next morning. In my mind, I thought it would be watery like dish water but to my surprise it was thick and resembled the consistency of liquid laundry detergent you would buy in the store. I threw a cup in the washer and it worked fine.

3 comments:

  1. can this be used with HE washers or does it foam alot due to the dawn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is not a high amount of suds as you would expect with the Dawn in there. Probably because it is not just concentrated dish soap, it's diluted in water and mixed with the other ingredients.

      Delete
  2. I only use 3 Tablespoons each of Washing Soda and Borax to 2 Tablespoons of Dawn to a gallon of water and it works great. (I use a cup of boiling water to dissolve the powders, then add the Dawn.) Been using this for a year now and it's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...